Maintaining Your J-1 Status

Maintaining one’s immigration status is the main responsibility of the non-immigrant – you! In general, a non-immigrant must maintain a valid passport, electronic or paper Form I-94 (or entry stamp), and related immigration document (DS-2019). Each immigration status requires that one follows specific regulations and procedures particular to that status.

The International Center is here to provide you with immigration advising for maintaining your legal status, as well as providing programs and advising that will help you not only adjust to living in the U.S. but to engage in rewarding experiences to remember for a lifetime. If you have any questions, feel free to schedule an appointment with one of our international scholar advisors.

We hope that your visit will prove rewarding, both professionally and personally.

General Responsibilities for Maintaining J-1 Status

  • Employment: you are authorized to stay in the U.S. to pursue full-time the program activity outlined on your DS-2019 at the site of activity(ies) requested by your sponsoring department (sites of activity do not display on the DS-2019). You may not work anywhere else without prior approval from the International Faculty & Scholar Office (IFSO). If you stop pursuing your program activity, your status ends as well.
  • Job changes: if there are proposed changes in your program activity, your funding sources, your site of activity, or your job title, you must report them to IFSO; an amended DS-2019 may be required.
  • Occasional Lectures and Consultations: Scholars may receive payment for occasional lectures or short-term consultations at another institution or company, provided that specific requirements are met and an off-campus activity request form is submitted and approved.
  • Study: a J-1 may enroll in classes as long as they are incidental to your full-time program activity and do not delay your program completion.
  • Taxes: J-1s, non-student category, are not required to pay FICA ("payroll") taxes for their first two calendar years (any portion thereof), and may receive tax treaty benefits exempting them from income tax. All J-1 are required to file tax forms on a yearly basis, however, regardless of tax liability status.


Google Translate is a third-party service provided by Google, the International Faculty & Scholars Office has no control over the accuracy or performance of Google Translate.