Skip to main content

J-2 Family Resources

Inviting Family Members

Scholars currently in J-1 status who wish to add their legally married spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as J-2 dependent status will need to obtain a Form DS-2019 for each dependent.  

The J-2 status is for "accompanying spouse and dependents" and thus are expected to reside with the J-1 principal. A Spouse or dependent(s) residing apart from the J-1 principal should obtain their own primary nonimmigrant status according to their purpose for being in the U.S. However, the J-1 and spouse or dependent(s) do NOT need to travel to the U.S. together.

All other relatives who wish to come to the U.S. to visit should apply for B-2 (visitor for pleasure) visa status or the Visa Waiver Program, if eligible.

Typically, J-2 DS-2019’s are requested with the Initial and Extension Application for the primary scholar. However, there are instances where a J-2 DS-2019 may need to be requested after the J-1 DS-2019 issuance. Please follow requesting a J-2 DS-2019 iServices instructions.

J-2 Employment

J-2 dependent family members may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for permission to accept employment. 

Programs and Events

Additional Resources

  • Daycare, Schools & Babysitting
  • Apply for Identification Documents
    • Social Security
      • Please note, J-2 dependents only qualify for a Social Security Card if they apply for J-2 Employment. Once this is approved, the J-2 must submit the EAD card and DS-2019 form to apply.
    • Driver's License
      • Please note, dependents must show proof of ineligibility of a Social Security Card with a denial letter from the Social Security Administration or apply for a number, if eligible, prior to applying for a Driver's License