Skip to main content



To comply with guidelines limiting interaction, the International Faculty & Scholars Office has closed its physical location through March 12, 2021 and changed the delivery of its services:

Advising will be done remotely, via phone or zoom. Please email to set up an appointment. Please include a short description about your matter or what you wish to discuss.

Registration/Orientation for J-1 and H-1B scholars will be done remotely, via zoom. Information and instructions will be emailed to new scholars.

Document processing will continue as normal, please view J-1 and H-1B processing instructions.

Document delivery - IFSO staff will work directly with departments and scholars to ship immigration documents to scholars.

Contact - For quickest response, send an email to, an advisor, or to our other categorized email addresses.


The UC San Diego Police department can be contacted at (858) 534-HELP (4357) with immigration-related emergencies when IFSO is closed (after hours or during a holiday closure). The UC San Diego Police department will contact an IFSO staff member to assist you with your immigration-related emergency.

Safety, Security and Emergency

In the event of an emergency, call 911, be ready to report details, beginning with the nature of the emergency and the exact location (address).

Safety, Security and Emergency Information


Advisor’s are available to meet with you to discuss a variety of topics such as change or extension of status, travel and re-entry, transferring, and planning beyond your current status. Call (858) 246-1448 to schedule an appointment.



Report any change in address, email, or phone number to the International Faculty & Scholars Office within 10 days of any of this information changing. After notifying IFSO, contact your department to ensure your contact information is updated on the UCSD systems.

Quick Links

Immigration News Updates

IFSO recognizes that recent changes in immigration policy may raise questions and concerns in our international community. Our commitment to supporting our international scholar population remains strong and steadfast.


Travel and re-entering the U.S.

Always keep important documents with you while you are traveling in the U.S. and abroad. At airports, train stations, and other transportation hubs you will need to present your original documents to establish your identity.


Admission (I-94) number retrieval

Upon entry to the United States, please retrieve your admission (I-94) number and print a copy of the I-94 for your records. A paper Form I-94 may still be issued at the land border ports of entry.

Retrieve I-94

Resources For: