Skip to main content

J-2 Dependent

J-2 status is derivative from the principal J-1 status holder.  J-2 spouses and other dependent family members are allowed to apply for work authorization with J-2 status and, once approved, have no limitations on their employment.  Should the principal's J-1 status end, employment authorization for the J-2 will be automatically revoked.  In such a case, to maintain employment authorization, the department would need to sponsor the J-2 for an appropriate employment status or separate the individual prior to loss of employment authorization.

I-9 Requirements:

Departments required to I-9 a J-2 dependent will need to see the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card with a valid date range.  A receipt notice for an extension of an EAD does not confer employment authorization; see USCIS' Handbook for Employers, M-274, and particularly "Automatic Extensions of EADs in Certain Circumstances."  The J-2 EAD code is (c)(5).  

IFSO Listserv!

Subscribe to the listserv for department facilitators! The listserv includes immigration updates, processing tips, and upcoming workshop information.


Contact IFSO!

International Faculty & Scholars Office (IFSO)
Phone: (858) 246-1448