Skip to main content

Applying for Change of Status

If already in the U.S. and applying for a change of status, discuss your situation with your International Faculty & Scholar Advisor at the UC San Diego International Faculty & Scholar Office (IFSO).


File an I-539 application to change your status (along with DS-2019, fee, and supporting documentation); include supplement for any dependents.

Please bring a copy of your I-797 Approval Notice when registering with our office.


To change status to H-1B, please contact your UC San Diego department so that they may assist you to initiate the process.  

If you have additional questions regarding timing, fees, and your eligibility to change to H-1B status contact us at ifsoh1b@ucsd or schedule an appointment by calling (858) 246-1448

IFSO Listserv!

Subscribe to the listserv for International Faculty, Scholars, and Dependents! The listserv includes immigration updates, workshops, and upcoming event information.


Contact IFSO!

International Faculty & Scholars Office (IFSO)
Phone: (858) 246-1448