Skip to main content

Notify IFSO of Change to Permanent Residency

Once you become a Permanent Resident, your record is closed out with IFSO, even if you will continue to work with UC San Diego. IFSO is also required to end the faculty/scholar's current visa status (ex. J-1, H-1B, etc.) as the faculty/scholar is now a Permanent Resident of the U.S.

Notify IFSO

If you have been approved for Permanent Residency, you must notify IFSO so that your record can be updated.

  • Sign into ISD:
  • Update Appointment section
    • Go to the Appointment section
    • Update the "End Date" to one day before your Permanent Residency card begins
    • Scroll to the bottom and click Save
  • Upload to Documents section
    • Go to the Documents section and upload your new permanent residency card
  • Submit to IFSO
    • On the left-side column, select Review and Submit to Department.
    • Click Submit.
    • The processing stage will say Pending Department Review however, the request will go to IFSO

IFSO Processing

Once IFSO receives notification via ISD we will close out their record.
  • J-1: SEVIS system will be updated to note the scholar is no longer in J-1 status.
  • H-1B: IFSO will notify the Department of Labor that the scholar is no longer in H-1B status.