Skip to main content

Initial Application


Your Department will initiate this process by granting you access to the web-based application (ISD). They will send you an email from the web-based application (ISD) which will include your login, password and the direct link to ISD.

An initial application is a new J-1/H-1B request or transfer-in/Port to UC San Diego. There are three basic steps to complete in this web-based application: 

  1. Enter your personal information
  2. Attach supporting documentation
  3. Review and submit to your sponsoring department at UC San Diego
Don’t forget to place your cursor over the question-mark icon for clarifying information regarding how to complete each section.

The following provides detailed information on completing each of the above steps.

Step 1: Enter your personal information

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Edit Personal Information to complete the application.

Please provide the requested information under each section of the Horizontal Fields Navigation Bar:
  • Biographical
  • Address
  • Appointment
  • Position In Home Country
  • Passport and Visa
  • Under “Other”
    • Education
    • Dependent-Specific
    • Dependent-General
Click Save after each individual section, the system will not automatically save the information. Update the information under each section of the Horizontal Fields Navigation Bar:

Biographical Section

The following fields under Biographical Information are required:
  • Passport Last Name
  • Passport First Name
  • Date of Birth
  • City and province/State of Birth
  • Country of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Country of Legal Permanent Residence
  • Gender Identity
TIP: Please enter your name as it appears on your passport biographical page. In the preferred/lived by name section, you can add a preferred or lived by name. Towards the bottom of the page, you can add other names used (e.g. maiden name).

Address Section

You will see three Address Types: local, permanent, and mailing.

TIP: Do not click Add New click Edit

Local Address

  • Currently in the U.S.:
    • Local address is typically associated with a San Diego or U.S. address. If you are currently living in the U.S., click on the Edit button associated with the Local Address type and fill in all appropriate fields with your local U.S. address.
      • TIP: Do not forget to enter your apartment or unit number, if applicable.
  • NOT currently in the U.S.:
    • If you are not currently inside the U.S., leave "Local" address information blank as you are not currently residing in the U.S.
  • You must include an email address in this section, even if not currently in the U.S.
    • The local email address is used as the primary email by the International Faculty & Scholars office to contact you.
    • If you have a UCSD-issued email address, include it here; if not, provide an email address (gmail, hotmail, etc.) at which we can reach you.
    • We typically recommend not using emails from other institutions incase the other institution discontinues your access.

Permanent Address

  • Permanent must always be a foreign address.
  • Click on the Edit button associated with Permanent Address type and fill in all appropriate fields with your home country address information.
    • TIP: Do not forget to enter your apartment or unit number, if applicable.
  • Include your permanent email address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.)
    • TIP: If you do not have additional email addresses, you can list the same email in the local and permanent address types

Mailing Address

  • Mailing section will always be left blank. Please do not complete this section.

***Please note that UC San Diego emails have been getting blocked/bouncebacks for “” emails, avoid using that email when possible.***

Appointment Section

There are only two sections visible.

Appointment Start and End Date:
  • Do not enter any information, your department will edit this section.
J visitor Category

TIP: If you are uncertain of which J visitor category you will enter on, please confirm with your department or IFSO advisor.

scholar appointment page

Position in Home Country Section

J-1 visitors only! Enter the following fields:
  • Position Title in Home Country
  • Employer or institution for above employment
  • Employer Type

Enter the job title of the most recent position you held in your home country or most recent country of permanent residence. 

If you were or are currently a student, write your student level.

Position Examples: PhD Student, Professor, Manager, etc. Abbreviate as needed.

Passport and Visa Section

ALL visitors must complete this section.

TIP: Don’t forget to place your cursor over the question-mark icon for clarifying information regarding how to complete each section.

Using your passport biographical page, enter the following fields:
  • Passport Number
  • Passport Expiration Date
  • Passport Country
  • If you are not currently in the U.S., please disregard all I-94 fields, leave them blank.
  • If you are currently in the U.S., please use the I-94 information from your most recent entry into the U.S. to complete the fields

Prior Visa History

  • Complete fields
  • Do not forget to list any travel plans.
    • If you are currently inside the U.S. and have travel plans in the next 7 months list, dates you plan to be outside of the U.S. Even if your plans are tentative, provide the estimated dates.
    • If you do not have any travel plans in the next 7 months, write NONE to acknowledge you do not have travel plans.
  • These fields are critical to determine your immigration history and eligibility for the status you are requesting

H Visitors Only

  • Only H-1B, E-3, and TN visitors! Complete all fields.
  • Please note that while we cant require the fields in ISD, these fields are necessary for a complete H-1B/E-3/TN request.
    • TIP: Don’t forget to place your cursor over the question-mark icon for clarifying information regarding how to complete each section.

Education Section

The Education section only has two questions that need to be completed. 

Dependent Sections

There are two dependent sections that need to be completed.

If you will not have dependents with you in the United States or your dependents will not need a dependent status while in the United States, you do not need to complete the Dependent-Specific and Dependent-General Sections. 

If you plan on having your dependents with you inside the U.S. who will need a dependent status, please complete the information in both the Dependent-Specific and Dependent-General sections.

Dependent-Specific Section

  • Select Add New. You will need to select this and complete this section for each dependent.
  • Using the passport biographic page, complete the following fields:
    • Last Name
    • First Name
    • Date of Birth
    • Gender Identity
    • City of Birth
    • Country of Birth
    • Country of Citizenship
    • Country of Permanent Residence
    • Relationship
    • Email

TIP: Ignore the Campus ID field

  • You will know the dependent information saved because their information will be visible on the screen. If the dependent information is not listed, then the information was not saved properly.
  • If you have additional dependents, click Add New and repeat filling in the same fields.

Dependent-General Section

  • If you plan to bring dependents, please complete the information in the Dependent-General Section.


Step 2: Attach Supporting Documentation

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Attach Documents. For more detailed instructions regarding how to upload documents to ISD, view our Upload/Attach Documents in ISD instructions.

Passport Biographical Page (both J-1 and H-1B/E3/TN)

The Passport Biographical page must be from your current unexpired passport (expiration date must be more than 6 months in future).

The name entered in the biographical tab MUST match the machine readable zone of your passport.

English Language Proficiency (J-1 only)

We require proof of English Language Proficiency. Please provide one of the following:
  • Test score results
    • IELTS band 6 or higher; or
    • TOEFL 61 (IBT), 173 (computer-based); or
    • 500 (paper based); or
    • PETS level 5 or higher
    • NOT accepted: TOEIC and TOEFL ITP
  • Institutional or English language school certification
    • This certification must be in English, on letterhead, with school official signature, and issued within past six months to verify that Exchange Visitor possesses English proficiency high enough to function daily with the UCSD position and local community.
  • Diploma with Scholar's name
    • For graduates of U.S. schools; or
    • International schools that teach in the English language (e.g., schools in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)
  • Verification statement from your UC San Diego department
    • In order to select this option, your UC San Diego department will interview you in English and submit a statement to us certifying your English language proficiency. Your department will provide us with this documentation.  This can be completed with J-1 Request Form, Section 2, documenting the interview, to include date, duration, interviewer, method of interview, and signed statement.

Funding Documentation (J-1 only)


Proof/documentation cannot be more than 6 months old. If funds are listed in foreign currency include a currency converter. Any document in a foreign language must include a translation of the key information such as source, amount, time, and date.  Translation does not need to be issued by official translating company.

We require proof of financial support in the following amounts:

  • Scholar only: $2400/month
  • Accompanying J-2 spouse: $800/month
  • Accompanying J-2 children: $400/month per child

If UC San Diego is providing you with a salary that meets these minimum amounts, no documentation is needed from you. Your department will provide IFSO with the necessary documentation.

If UC San Diego is not providing you with funding that meets these amounts, you must upload documentation proving you have financial support for the minimum amounts mentioned above for the entire duration of your J-1 program.

Example: A scholar is coming to UC San Diego for a two-year program with their Spouse. The minimum amount they need is:

          $2,400 for Scholar x 24 months= $57,600
          $800 for Spouse x 24 months= $19,200

         Total= $76,800 total minimum proof of funding required for two years with a Spouse

If you are receiving funding/salary from an outside entity, this must be reported and it should not be listed as personal funds. For example, if you are on sabbatical and still receiving income from your home institution, you should submit proof of this funding rather than providing a bank statement.

Funding documentation may include: 
  • Program Sponsor Funds - UC San Diego provides funds directly to you, such as a salary, stipend, etc.
    • UC San Diego could be disbursing money from a scholarship or other granting source but this is still considered program sponsor funds because UCSD distributes the funds
    • Documentation: UC San Diego appointment/offer letter
  • Other Organization or Government Funds - another entity distributes funds directly to you
    • A company/academic institution/employer/government agency, not an individual person
    • Examples:
      • Your foreign employer is paying you while on leave from your job, such as a sabbatical
      • You received a scholarship that is distributing funds directly to you
      • You have a fellowship from your home country’s government or the U.S. government
    • Documentation:
      • Funding organization/scholarship letter indicating amount of funds and disbursement period
      • Employer letter stating your salary and that you will continue to be paid for the date range of your program at UC San Diego. The letter should state funding amount, frequency, and that they will continue to pay this amount while at UC San Diego, in the U.S., on sabbatical, etc. 
        • Please note: a pay statement cannot be used as proof of funding.
  • Personal funds – You or another person (a sponsor) provides personal funding for the duration of your time in J status
    • Personal funds should only be listed/used/included after all other sources of funding are provided. Personal funds should be supplemental to any other funding sources.
    • If only personal funds are included, this is an indication to IFSO that there are no additional funding sources. Please note that excluding any additional funding sources could be seen as a misrepresentation of program funding source.
    • Examples:
      • J-1 has sufficient money in a personal bank account
      • J-1 is getting money from a friend or family member who has enough money in bank
    • Documentation:
      • Bank statement showing personal funds of scholar or sponsor. 
      • Funding documentation from a sponsor (spouse, friend, family, etc.) must also include an affidavit of support, indicating the sponsor will support the scholar and the amount of funding that will be provided for the date range of the program.
      • Evidence must show currently existing liquid funds
        • Not acceptable: stocks, bonds, mutual funds

Immigration Documents, if currently inside the U.S. (All Visitors)

All visitors:

  • I-94 arrival/departure record
  • Visa stamp used for most recent entry to the U.S. (except Canadians)
  • Entry stamp in passport documenting most recent entry to the U.S.


  • If currently in a paid position, three most recent earnings statements
  • If currently in F status: all I-20s issued to you, since your last entry to the U.S.
  • If ever in J status: all DS-2019 forms issued you and, if applicable, a copy of your I-612 Waiver approval notice if subject to 212(e)
  • If ever in H-1B status, copies of all I-797 approval notices (TN and E-3: include copies of I-797 approval notices if pertinent)
  • If ever issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), copies of all EADs

Curriculum Vitae (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

Do not include immigration, personal, or volunteer information on this document.

Degree/Diploma (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

Upload diplomas for all relevant degrees.

Any document not in English will require a translation and translator’s statement certifying that they are competent to translate the document from that language to English and that the translation is a thorough translation of the entire document.

  • Translation does not need to be completed by an official translation company
  • Sample translators statement
    • Translation statement cannot be signed by PI, scholar or family member as it could be seen as biased by an officer.

If the diploma does not specify a particular field, then transcripts must be submitted that indicate in which field the diploma was obtained. If a diploma is not available, transcripts can be used instead, as long as the transcript indicates the degree issued.

Foreign Credentials Evaluation (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

If the relevant degrees are not from a U.S. institution, then a foreign credentials evaluation certifying the U.S. degree equivalency must be submitted (exception: Clinical Care appointments do not need evaluations of foreign MD degrees; TNs do not need evaluations if degree is Canadian or Mexican).

The evaluation should include field of study, a detailed description of the material evaluated, rather than conclusions, and a brief description of the qualifications and experience of the evaluator.

For more information, see: Credential Evaluation Information.

Clinical Care Documentation (H-1B/E-3 only; TN not allowed)

Graduates of International Medical Schools

  • ECFMG Certification (unless a graduate of a Canadian medical school)
  • U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1-3
    National Board of Medical Examiners (NMBE) examinations – Parts 1-3
    FLEX examination
  • CA Medical License documentation

Graduates of Accredited U.S. Medical Schools

  • Internationals with a medical degree from an accredited U.S. institution need only provide IFSO with their U.S. MD diploma and, starting 1/1/2020, the Postgraduate Training License (PTL).

Required if the UCSD appointment/job advertisement has as a requirement

  • Medical Residency completion certificate
  • Clinical Fellowship completion certificate
  • Board Certification
  • Documentation establishing Board Eligibility (UC San Diego issued documentation is not acceptable)

Required for ALL Clinical Training programs through ECFMG

  • GME exception to policy allowing for H-1B/E-3 sponsorship

Dependent Documents (J requests only)

  • Passport Biographical page(s) of dependent(s)
  • If currently in the U.S.
    • I-94 arrival/departure record of dependent(s)
    • Visa stamp used for most recent entry to the U.S. of dependent(s)
    • Entry stamp in passport documenting most recent entry to the U.S. of dependent(s)

Step 3: Review and Submit to Department

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Review and Submit to Department to complete the application.

Review Information

Review all the information that you have entered.

Any outstanding fields requiring data entry will be listed and need to be completed in each section. If you see this alert at the top, you must complete the fields listed in red before submitting.

  • Tip: to update any missing information you must go to the Horizontal Fields Navigation Bar then return to Review and Submit to Department section.

Submit to Department

Once all fields have been entered, click on Submit button in upper left-hand corner of screen. 

Once you click Submit the information and documentation you have provided within ISD will be sent to your Department. They will be notified via email that the information in ISD is ready for their review and final approval. Your department will then submit the final version of the information and documents to IFSO for processing.

Please refer to our website for processing time information for J-1 and H-1B requests.