Skip to main content

Extension Requests


Your Department will initiate this process by sending you an email from the web-based application (ISD). If you forget your login/password information contact IFSO at

Step 1: Edit your personal information

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Edit Personal Information to update your information.

Update the information under each section of the Horizontal Fields Navigation Bar:

Biographical Section

Review the information to make sure it is still accurate.

Address Section

Click on the Edit button associated with your Local address and enter your local residential address, telephone number, and UCSD email.

TIP: Do not use the Mailing Address Type and do not click on New Address. 

Appointment Section

There are only two sections visible.

Appointment Start and End Date:
  • Do not edit this section, your department will edit the dates
J visitor Category
  • Do not edit this field for an extension.


Passport and Visa Section

Update information in the following sections:
  • I-94 Section: all questions
  • Prior VIsa History: all questions
H Visitors Only section (Only H-1B/E-3/TN visitors!)
  • Update all fields.
  • Please note that while we cant require the fields in ISD, these fields are necessary for a complete H-1B/E-3/TN request.
  • Do not forget to list any travel plans.
    • If you are currently inside the U.S. and have travel plans in the next 7 months list, dates you plan to be outside of the U.S. Even if your plans are tentative, provide the estimated dates.
    • If you do not have any travel plans in the next 7 months, write NONE to acknowledge you do not have travel plans.

TIP: Don’t forget to place your cursor over the question-mark icon for clarifying information regarding how to complete each section.

Step 2: Attach Supporting Documentation

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Attach DocumentsFor more detailed instructions regarding how to upload documents to ISD, view our Upload/Attach Documents in ISD instructions.

Do not delete any previous documents.

Funding Documentation (J-1 only)


Proof/documentation cannot be more than 6 months old. If funds are listed in foreign currency include a currency converter. Any document in a foreign language must include a translation of the key information such as source, amount, time, and date. Translation does not need to be issued by official translating company.

We require proof of financial support in the following amounts:

We require proof of financial support in the following amounts:

  • Scholar only: $2400/month
  • Accompanying J-2 spouse: $800/month
  • Accompanying J-2 children: $400/month per child

If UC San Diego is providing you with a salary that meets these minimum amounts, no documentation is needed from you. Your department will provide IFSO with the necessary documentation.

If UC San Diego is not providing you with funding that meets these amounts, you must upload documentation proving you have financial support for the minimum amounts mentioned above for the entire duration of your J-1 program.

Example: A scholar is coming to UC San Diego for a two-year program with their Spouse. The minimum amount they need is:

          $2,400 for Scholar x 24 months= $57,600
          $800 for Spouse x 24 months= $19,200

         Total= $76,800 total minimum proof of funding required for two years with a Spouse

Funding documentation may include: 
  • Program Sponsor Funds - UC San Diego provides funds directly to you, such as a salary, stipend, etc.
    • UC San Diego could be disbursing money from a scholarship or other granting source but this is still considered program sponsor funds because UCSD distributes the funds
    • Documentation: UC San Diego appointment/offer letter
  • Other Organization or Government Funds - another entity distributes funds directly to you
    • A company/academic institution/employer/government agency, not an individual person
    • Examples:
      • Your foreign employer is paying you while on leave from your job, such as a sabbatical
      • You received a scholarship that is distributing funds directly to you
      • You have a fellowship from your home country’s government or the U.S. government
    • Documentation:
      • Funding organization/scholarship letter indicating amount of funds and disbursement period
      • Employer letter stating your salary and that you will continue to be paid for the date range of your program at UC San Diego. The letter should state funding amount, frequency, and that they will continue to pay this amount while at UC San Diego, in the U.S., on sabbatical, etc. 
        • Please note: a pay statement cannot be used as proof of funding.
  • Personal funds – You or another person (a sponsor) provides personal funding for the duration of your time in J status
    • Personal funds should only be listed/used/included after all other sources of funding are provided. Personal funds should be supplemental to any other funding sources.
    • If only personal funds are included, this is an indication to IFSO that there are no additional funding sources. Please note that excluding any additional funding sources could be seen as a misrepresentation of program funding source.
    • Examples:
      • J-1 has sufficient money in a personal bank account
      • J-1 is getting money from a friend or family member who has enough money in bank
    • Documentation:
      • Bank statement showing personal funds of scholar or sponsor. 
      • Funding documentation from a sponsor (spouse, friend, family, etc.) must also include an affidavit of support, indicating the sponsor will support the scholar and the amount of funding that will be provided for the date range of the program.
      • Evidence must show currently existing liquid funds
        • Not acceptable: stocks, bonds, mutual funds

Immigration Documents if currently inside the U.S. (All Visitors)

All visitors:
  • Most recent passport bio-demographic page
  • I-94 arrival/departure record
  • Visa stamp used for most recent entry to the U.S.
  • Entry stamp in passport documenting most recent entry to the U.S.
  • If currently in a paid position, three most recent earnings statements
  • If currently in F status: all I-20s issued to you since your last entry to the U.S.
  • If ever in J status: all DS-2019 forms issued you and, if applicable, a copy of your I-612 Waiver approval notice if subject to 212(e)
  • If ever in H-1B/E-3/TN status, copies of all I-797 approval notices if adjudicated through USCIS
  • If ever issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), copies of all EADs

Curriculum Vitae (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

Upload your most recent CV; do not include immigration, personal, or volunteer information on this document

Degree/Diploma (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

Upload diplomas for all relevant degrees, if not already present.

Any document not in English will require a translation and translator’s statement certifying that they are competent to translate the document from that language to English and that the translation is a thorough translation of the entire document.

  • Translation does not need to be completed by an official translation company
  • Sample translators statement
    • Translation statement cannot be signed by PI, scholar or family member as it could be seen as biased by an officer.

If the diploma does not specify a particular field, then transcripts must be submitted that indicate in which field the diploma was obtained. If a diploma is not available, transcripts can be used instead, as long as the transcript indicates the degree issued.

Foreign Credentials Evaluation (H-1B/E-3/TN only)

If the relevant degrees are not from a U.S. institution, then a foreign credentials evaluation certifying the U.S. degree equivalency must be submitted if not already present (exception: Clinical Care appointments do not need evaluations of foreign MD degrees; TN requests do not need evaluations if degree is from Mexico or Canada).

The evaluation should include field of study, a detailed description of the material evaluated, rather than conclusions, and a brief description of the qualifications and experience of the evaluator.

For more information, see: Credential Evaluation Resources webpage.

Clinical Care Documentation (H-1B/E-3 only; TN not allowed)

Include the following documents if they do not already exist in the ISD record:

Graduates of International Medical Schools

  • ECFMG Certification (unless a graduate of a Canadian medical school)
  • U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1-3
    National Board of Medical Examiners (NMBE) examinations – Parts 1-3
    FLEX examination
  • CA Medical License documentation

Graduates of Accredited U.S. Medical Schools

  • Internationals with a medical degree from an accredited U.S. institution need only provide IFSO with their U.S. MD diploma and, starting 1/1/2020, the Postgraduate Training License (PTL).

Required if the UCSD appointment/job advertisement has as a requirement

  • Medical Residency completion certificate
  • Clinical Fellowship completion certificate
  • Board Certification
  • Documentation establishing Board Eligibility (UC San Diego issued documentation is not acceptable)

Required for ALL Clinical Training programs through ECFMG

  • GME exception to policy allowing for H-1B/E-3 sponsorship

Dependent Documents (J requests only)

  • Passport Biographical page(s) of dependent(s)
  • If currently in the U.S.
    • I-94 arrival/departure record of dependent(s)
    • Visa stamp used for most recent entry to the U.S. of dependent(s)
    • Entry stamp in passport documenting most recent entry to the U.S. of dependent(s)

Step 3: Review and Submit to Department

On the left-side Instructions bar, click on Review and Submit to Department to complete the application.

Review Information

Review all the information that you have entered. Any outstanding fields requiring data entry will be listed and need to be completed in each section. If you see this alert at the top, you must complete the fields listed in red before submitting.

  • Tip: to update any missing information you must go to the Horizontal Fields Navigation Bar then return to Review and Submit to Department section.

Submit to Department

Once all fields have been entered, click on Submit button in upper left-hand corner of screen. 

Once you click Submit the information and documentation you have provided within ISD will be sent to your Department. They will be notified via email that the information in ISD is ready for their review and final approval. Your department will then submit the final version of the information and documents to IFSO for processing.

Please refer to our website for processing time information for J-1 and H-1B requests.