Skip to main content

Notify IFSO of Change to Permanent Residency

Once a Faculty/Scholar becomes a Permanent Resident, their record is closed out with IFSO, even if they continue to work with UC San Diego. IFSO is also required to end the scholar's current visa status (ex. J-1, H-1B, etc.) as the scholar is now a Permanent Resident of the U.S.

Notify IFSO

If a scholar has been approved for Permanent Residency, you must notify IFSO so that the scholar's record can be updated.

  • Sign into ISD
  • Update Appointment section
    • In the scholar's ISD record, go to the Appointment section
    • Update the "End Date" to one day before their Permanent Residency card begins
    • Scroll to the bottom and click Save
  • Upload to Documents section
    • Go to the Documents section and upload their new permanent residency card
  • Submit to IFSO
    • Go to the Tasks tab, Select Review and Submit Visitor's Information
    • After all required fields are completed, select:
      • Profile Status: SEVIS - Active (for J-1) or Active (for H-1B/TN/E-3)
      • Profile Type: Most recent nonimmigrant status (J-1, H-1B, TN, E-3) before the Permanent Residency
      • Profile Subtype: Scholar
      • Profile Subtype If Other: leave blank
    • Click Submit button toward the left-hand top of the screen. This action forwards the complete record to IFSO staff to review

IFSO Processing

Once IFSO receives notification via ISD we will close out their record.
  • J-1: SEVIS system will be updated to note the scholar is no longer in J-1 status.
  • H-1B: IFSO will notify the Department of Labor that the scholar is no longer in H-1B status.