Occasional Lectures and Consultations
The DS-2019 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor J-1 Status) describes the type of work--the program activity--in which the J-1 scholar may be engaged.
Scholars may receive payment for occasional lectures or short-term consultations at another institution or company, provided that the following requirements are met:
- The request must be submitted to the International Faculty & Scholar Office (IFSO) prior to the activity.
- Proposed employment must be directly related to the objectives of the UC San Diego program.
- Activity must be incidental to the primary program activities.
- Activity must not delay the completion of the J-1 program.
- The employer must hire the scholar as an "independent contractor" for any payment.
"Short-term consultations" will not be authorized for periods of greater than two weeks. "Occasional lectures" are not regularly recurring, such as lecturing once a week for a quarter. Authorization will not be granted for situations that comprise a conflict of interest, such as working for a PI's private company.
How to request authorization
To obtain authorization, submit the following forms to IFSO:
- J-1 Off-Campus Activity Request Form (PDF) (with proper signatures)
- Copy of current I-94
- Invitation or Offer Letter from the prospective employer/organization, on its official letterhead, which includes the following information about the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult:
- Description of the activity
- Field or subject
- Duration of the activity (start and end date required)
- Total number of hours scheduled to work (please specify per week or month, etc.)
- Amount of compensation
- Location of activity (include address)
If approved, IFSO will issue an authorization letter and a new DS-2019.
Allow 10 business days for processing. The International Faculty & Scholar Office will call the phone number listed on the request form for pick-up.