Skip to main content

Ending Your Status & Departing the U.S.

For H-1B status, the program end date is on the I-94 card.

In all cases, however, the actual status end date is the date that you stop your approved activity, or the end date on your forms, whichever comes first.

For example, if an H-1B finishes his/her program three months early, then the lawful H-1B status also ends three months early.

Always inform the International Faculty & Scholar Office when ending your appointment at UC San Diego.  Please remind your department facilitator/HR contact to complete an online Departure form for you, as our office is required to notify the appropriate government agencies of your departure.  Please contact us if you have questions about your status ending.

Grace periods

Regulations effective Jan 17th, 2017 grant a 60-day grace period (or up to the end of the authorized petition validity period--whichever is shorter) for those employees who experience a "cessation of the employment" on which the H classification (or TN, E, L, O) was based.  This grace period is not automatic but granted at the discretion of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

IFSO Listserv!

Subscribe to the listserv for International Faculty, Scholars, and Dependents! The listserv includes immigration updates, workshops, and upcoming event information.


Contact IFSO!

International Faculty & Scholars Office (IFSO)
Phone: (858) 246-1448