FORM A: (to be completed by the sponsoring department)
Extension: For extension request to extend a scholar's J-1 program.
24-Month Bar Reactivation if the scholar currently is in J-1 status but has been authorized by IFSO for a Leave of Absence.
Section 1: Scholar Information
1. Name: Enter name of scholar as it appears on the current DS-2019 form.
2. Date of Birth: Enter in Month, Day,Year (mm/dd/yyyy) format.
3. Gender: Select the appropriate gender.
Section 2: Program Information
4. Requested Extension Date: For non-salaried positions, end date should match duration of funding available, provided the appointment letter also matches this date (e.g., Visiting Graduate Student or Postdoc Paid-Direct appointments). For salaried UCSD appointments the end date should match the end of the appointment as indicated on the appointment letter from the office overseeing the appointment process. For career staff appointments, you may request the full five-year period allowed for the J-1 Research Scholar category. Do not add any additional time after the appointment ends or before the appointment begins; J-1 scholars are allowed to enter the U.S. 30 days prior to the start of their program and remain in the U.S. for 30 days after the end of their program.
5. Future Extension: Indicate if there is a possibility of extending the scholar's appointment beyond the current requested date.
6. Payroll or Non-Paid Position Title: Must select from drop-down list. Do not leave it blank, otherwise it will be returned to the department. Contact your department's Academic Personnel or HR offices for assistance.
For Affiliates: Select the title according to your organization, such as VMRF, Ludwig, etc.
** All appointments or positions must be approved by the appropriate units (Graduate Division, ORA, Dean's Office or HR) prior to submitting the DS-2019 Initial Request to IFSO. A copy of the approved appointment letter or enrollment form is required.**
7. Title Code: Enter the appropriate position title code corresponding to the title selected on #5. Affiliates do not need to enter title code. Leave blank if position does not have a title code (usually non-academic titles without salary).
8. Area/Field of Research: This should reflect the field of research at UC San Diego, e.g., Biology, Bioinformatics, Cardiology, etc. This may be different from the scholar's degree field or department name.
9. Percent Effort: if appointment is full-time effort, indicate 100%; otherwise, indicate the % effort expected. Only required for paid titles.
10. Activity: Primary objectives at UC San Diego; research or teaching duties. Select all that apply.
11. Tenure: Indicate whether the appointment is a permanent tenure-track position. If so, the J-1 is not appropriate; therefore please contact our office for assistance.
Section 3: Financial Support Information
12. The funding support document must indicate a specific dollar (or other currency) amount; the minimum monthly financial support required for J-1 non-immigrants is as follows (VGS appointments for more than 6 months require Graduate Division monthly minimums):
Accompanying J-2 spouse: $800/month additional
Accompanying J-2 child: $400/month additional per child
*Exception: Postdoctoral appointment letter is sufficient proof to meet these requirements for title codes 3252, 3253, and 3254. No additional funding is required.
*Dependents are the scholar's spouse and children
Proof of funding is required and a full month's funding must be accounted for, even if the scholar's stay is less than one full month.
All documentation must be translated to English and the amount must be converted to U.S. dollars.
UC San Diego-Salary: This includes salary paid from federal grants disbursed through UC San Diego payroll system.
UC San Diego-Other: Indicate non-salary support from UC San Diego, e.g., per diem, reimbursements, etc.
- US Government Agency: Only if directly paid to the scholar independently from UC San Diego's funds.
- Scholar's Home Government: Only if directly paid to scholar, such as any governmental agency, ministry or department.
- International Organization: Only if directly paid to the scholar (i.e. NATO, UN, WHO)
- Binational Commission: Only if directly paid to the scholar ( i.e. Fulbright)
- Personal funds: Attach a recent bank statement in English and converted to US dollars. If funds are from a family member or other individual, our office will require an additional signed statement from that individual that they will be supporting the J-1 is required.(try the XE Currency Site for an online converter).
- Other: For example, home country's employer, institute, university, private foundation, including grants not paid directly to scholar. The funding letter should be on the organization's letterhead and must indicate a specific dollar (or other currency) amount of support.
Section 4: Department Certification
The appropriate signatures are required from the department chair, faculty sponsor and department administrator. This certifies that the department agrees to the terms and conditions as stated on the form. For Affiliates: The chief HR officer can sign in place of the department chair.
IFSO will contact the department administrator listed for any questions or when the DS-2019 is ready for pick-up.
Completing this request form is separate from the appointment enrollment within your department. Please contact your Academic Personnel/HR representative for appointment-related issues.
Program Sponsor Information:
- Department Chair: This must be signed by the department's chair. Contact the departmental Dean's Office or Academic Personnel office for specific procedures.
- Chief HR Officer: Reserved for Affiliate requests only. Please contact your institution/organization's HR office for signature.
- Sponsor/Supervisor: Signed by the mentor or supervisor.
- Department Contact: IFSO will contact the specified department administrator for any additional questions and notification of document pick-up.
13. Health Insurance: Indicate if the sponsoring department will continue to pay for health insurance as part of employee benefits.
14. Site of Activity: If the physical work location is not on UC San Diego Main Campus, please specify the name and address. Include all additional on- or off-campus locations, even if the sites are affiliated with UC San Diego
Please send the completed Form B directly to the sponsoring department. IFSO will not forward the form to the department
Section 1: Personal Information
1. Name: Enter name as it as appears on the scholar's current DS-2019, separated by Family and Given names.
2. E-Mail: Provide current e-mail address, UC San Diego preferred.
3. Telephone Number: Indicate the current telephone number.
4. Address: Provide current, local residential address. It is required, per federal regulations, that J-1s update their address with IFSO within 10 days of their move.
5. Medical Degree: Indicate if the J-1 currently holds a medical degree. If so, Form D is required.
6. Labor Certification: Indicate if the scholar has ever received an approval for a Labor Certification for permanent residence. This is the first step to a U.S. permanent residence application based on employment.
7. Immigrant Petition: Indicate if an I-140 (immigrant petition) or I-130 (through marriage/family) has ever been filed for permanent residence in the U.S.
8. Currently in the U.S.: Indicate if the scholar is currently inside the U.S. If Yes, answer questions (a) and (b).
9. 212(e): Indicate if scholar has filed for waiver of two-year home residence requirement. If so, include copy of the receipt or approval notice.
Section 2: Dependent Information:
10. Complete this section for any family members who will continue in J-2 status only. Notify IFSO immediately if any J-2 dependent is no longer in J-2 status or has filed for a Change of Status.
- Written verification of financial support such as an appointment renewal letter, funding support or bank statement is required and must be in English.
IFSO will not forward the form to the department.
- This form certifies that the scholar understands the insurance requirements.
- Indicate what type of insurance coverage the scholar will have during their stay in the U.S.
The department must complete this form if the scholar holds a foreign medical degree. It defines whether the J-1 scholar's program will involve incidental patient contact.
- School Of Medicine: The supervisor and department chair must sign Section I or II, then re-route to the School of Medicine Dean's Office for approval. Once approved, forward to IFSO along with the completed application package.
- If SECTION II is selected, the department must include the Five-Point Statement.