J-1 Amendment Instructions

*Please see the J-1 Date Amendment Request Form to request a date amendment, prior to the scholar's arrival.


Section 1: Scholar Information

1. Name: Enter name of scholar as it appears in their passport.

Section 2: Program Information

2. Appointment Date: For non-salaried positions, end date should match duration of funding available. For salaried, UC San Diego appointments, you may use a projected end date if the appointment is likely to be renewed annually. Do not include any dates for personal use, including travel. J scholars are allowed to stay in the U.S. up to 30 days after the end date for personal reasons.

4. Payroll or Non-Paid Position Title: Select from drop-down list; do not leave blank, otherwise form will be returned to the department. Contact your department's Academic Personnel or HR offices for assistance.

Regarding position titles:

For Affiliates: Select the title according to your organization, such as VMRF, Ludwig, etc.

All appointments or positions must be approved by the appropriate units (Graduate Division, OPVSA, Dean's Office or HR) prior to submitting the DS-2019 Initial Request to IFSO. A copy of the approved appointment letter or enrollment form is required.

5. Title Code: Enter the appropriate position title code corresponding to the title selected on #5. Affiliates do not need to enter title code. Leave blank if position does not have a title code (usually non-academic titles without salary).

6. Field of Research: Indicate the field of research or teaching subject related to the activity at UC San Diego. Keep it general and short, e.g. Biology, Computer Science, Information Technology, etc. This may be different than the field of their degree or the department name.

7. Percent Effort: if appointment is full-time effort, indicate 100%; otherwise, indicate the % effort expected. Only required for paid titles.

8. Activity: Specify whether the scholar will engage in research or teaching duties in this amended appointment period. Select all that apply.

9. Tenure: Indicate if the current appointment is changing to a permanent tenure-track position. If so, the J-1 is not appropriate; please contact IFSO for assistance.

Section 3: Financial Support Information

11. Complete this section if funding is changing. If funding is the same as listed on the previous DS-2019, please hand-write on this section “Not changing”. If you are completing this section, remember that the minimum monthly financial support required for J-1 non-immigrants is as follows (VGS appointments for longer than 6 months require Graduate Division monthly minimums):

Single:  $2,400

Accompanying J-2 spouse: $800/month additional

Accompanying J-2 child: $400/month additional per child

*Exception: Postdoctoral appointment letter is sufficient proof to meet these requirements for title codes 3252, 3253, and 3254. No additional funding is required.

Proof of funding is required and a full month's funding must be accounted, even if the scholar's stay is less than one full month.

All documentation must be translated to English and the amount must be converted to U.S. dollars (try the XE Currency Site for an online converter).

  • UC San Diego-Salary: This includes salary paid from federal grants disbursed through UC San Diego payroll system.
  • UC San Diego-Other: Indicate non-salary support from UC San Diego i.e. per diem, reimbursements, etc.
  • U.S. Government Agency: Only if directly paid to the scholar independently from UC San Diego's funds.
  • Visitor's Home Government: Only if directly paid to scholar, such as any governmental agency, ministry or department.
  • International Organization: Only if directly paid to the scholar; for example, NATO, UN, WHO
  • Binational Commission: Only if directly paid to the scholar; for example, Fulbright
  • Personal funds: Attach a recent bank statement in English and converted to U.S. dollars.
  • Other: For example, home country's employer, institute, university, private foundation, including grants not paid directly to scholar. Please specify the name and attach proof of funding.

Section 4: Department Certification

The appropriate signatures are required from the department chair, faculty sponsor, and department administrator. This certifies that the department agrees to the terms and conditions as stated on the form.

For Affiliates: The chief HR officer can sign in place of the department chair.

  • IFSO will contact the department administrator listed for any questions or when the DS-2019 is ready for pick-up.
  • Completing this request form is separate from the appointment enrollment within your department. Please contact your Academic Personnel/HR representative for appointment-related issues.
  • Department Chair: This must be signed by the department chair. Contact the departmental Dean's Office or Academic Personnel office for specific procedures.
  • Chief HR Officer: Reserved for Affiliate requests only. Please contact your institution/organization's HR office for signature.
  • Sponsor/Supervisor: Signed by the mentor or supervisor.
  • Department Contact: IFSO will contact the specified department administrator for any additional questions and notification for document pick-up.

Program Sponsor Information:

12. Health Insurance: Indicate if the UC San Diego sponsoring department will provide for health insurance as part of employee benefits.

13. Site of Activity: If the physical work location is not on UC San Diego Main Campus, please specify the name and address; iInclude all additional on- or off-campus locations, even if the sites are affiliated with UC San Diego.

Required attachments:

    • If you are amending the scholar’s funding, attach proof of financial funding for non-UC San Diego suport (i.e. scholarship letter, bank statement, etc.)
    • If you are amending the title, attach new appointment form (i.e. Visiting Graduate Student Appointment Form approved by the Graduate Division, Visiting Scholar Enrollment Form approved by Office of Research Affairs, SRA appointment, etc.)
    • If you are amending other employment terms, please call 858-246-1448 to discuss with advisor. 

Drawer Body

J-1 Amendment